< Help FAQ
The AboutUs Bot
The main job of the AboutUs Bot is to create basic pages about websites. It gathers descriptive public information about a website from several sources (such as the whois record) to build this domain page. This pre-built wiki page gives website owners and AboutUs contributors a head-start in creating a useful and informative AboutUs.org page. For more information try a tour of AboutUs and wiki.
How it adds a WikiPage to our site about your site!
How do I prevent the bot from gathering info about my site
Using a robots.txt file, you can choose not to have your future AboutUs.org pages initialized with selected content from your website. This doesn't mean that we won't create a Wiki Page for your website. Our members still have the opportunity to contribute their own content describing your site, as well as adding their own constructive reviews.
To prevent the AboutUs:Bot from collecting your site content in the future, please include the following lines in your /robots.txt file.
- User-agent: AboutUsBot
- Disallow: /
- The AboutUs:Bot will include the following in it's User-Agent string:
- Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; AboutUsBot/0.9; +http://www.aboutus.org/AboutUsBot)
- Please note that the current AboutUs Bot behavior is to visit each site only once to initialize the AboutUs.org page.
- Other supported bot prevention methods
- The AboutUs:Bot will also honor a rule like this in your robots.txt file:
- User-agent: *
- Disallow: /
What about my address?
- Even though your address may be publicly available in various Whois services, if your website has a robots.txt file that denies access to AboutUs:Bot, we will honor your intentions and not publish your contact details on your AboutUs.org page.
- Please be aware that if we have already published your address, it was because it was available to us through a popular 3rd party API service. Your address is probably completely visible in your WHOIS record, and if you want your address to be kept private in the future, you can subscribe to an address protection service through your registrar.
How do I remove my AboutUs.org page?
- Completely erasing WikiPage content is considered by our editors as a TestEdit and the page is restored. If you would like to remove the content created by the bot (Title & Description) and contact details (Address & Contact), please only remove the content in those sections. Other sections, including the reviews, thumbnail, language, external links, and contributed content should remain. See No Bot Policy for more information.