By Wiep Knol on September 14, 2010
Backlinks are important for driving more traffic to a website. Links from other websites provide a direct path to the site for anyone who clicks on them. Backlinks from reputable websites can improve a site's SEO (search engine optimization) and boost its ranking in search engine results. That means more people may find the site when searching for its keywords.
Link Building Tactics To Avoid
- Submitting your website to thousands of "SEO-friendly directories"
- Leaving comments on dozens of blogs, just to get a link
- Buying links for PageRank
- Swapping links with just anyone
- Using automated link building tools that promise great results for a low cost
- Creating tons of profile pages on third-party websites, just for the links
Link Building Tactics that Work
- Creating great content on your website that others want to talk about
- Offering a good product or service that people will recommend to others
- Submitting to relevant, high quality directories
- Asking website and blog owners who have mentioned you, but haven't linked to you, to link
- Networking with influential people in your industry
- Regularly contributing to relevant discussions, forums or blogs
- Plain old marketing
For much more info, click here to read the full article.
Additional Recommended Reading:
- 35 Local Link Opportunities by Adam Melson
- 101 link building tips on SEOBook.com
- The Link Spiel (visit)
- Google's suggestions for getting quality links
- Smart Links Can Make Your SEO Sing on SearchEngineLand.com