edit Kristina Weis on September 1, 2011
edit Is your search result better than your competitors'?
You want to your website to rank higher in search results and get more people to click on it, right? You can get more visitors by crafting compelling title tags and meta descriptions, which are the building blocks of your search result. You want to persuade people to click.
Let's compare. If you were shopping for shoes online, which of the following search results would you be most likely to click on?
- Shoes | CHROME | Official Site
- Chrome Messenger Bags, Laptop Bags and Backpacks are Built to Last a Lifetime, Guaranteed. Since 1995. San Francisco, California.
- Chinese Laundry - Fashion footwear for women: sandals, boots ...
- Official website of Chinese Laundry: From stylish daytime looks in innovative fabrics and leathers to evening collections in eye-catching metallics and ...
- Shoes, Clothing | Zappos Free Shipping
- Free shipping BOTH ways on shoes, clothing, and more! 365-day return policy, over 1000 brands, 24/7 friendly customer service.
The meta description in the first search result doesn't have anything to do with shoes. The second has a title tag and meta description that are too long, and get chopped off. But the third site tells you what shoppers want to know and why to buy from them instead in both its title and meta description.
Are your title tags or meta descriptions too long, missing or duplicated? The AboutUs Site Report analyzes your website and tell you where problems are, and how to fix them. It also tracks your Google rank so you can see how your SEO efforts pay off over time.
For more information about writing and creating enticing title tags and meta descriptions that fit search engine parameters, check out these articles and videos: