The New Vision Online: Uganda's leading newspaper
The New Vision was set up in 1986 after Yoweri Museveni and the National Resistance Army captured state power in Uganda.
The company is listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange with 80% of the shares owned by the government and the other 20% owned by numerous private shareholders.
The New Vision is enjoined by act of parliament to remain independent. The New Vision has a legal obligation to publish criticism of the government 'without becoming an institutional opponent of government'. The New Vision is under no directive to publish praise of government.