Pandora.com offers internet radio and music to listeners within the US.
Pandora.com is an internet radio station that generates music based on your musical preferences. Create customizable stations that play music by your favorite bands and similar artists. The site makes sophisticated recommendations based on musical analysis by the Music Genome Project. Pandora recognizes that individuals have a unique relationship with music and that good radio requires a deep understanding of music.
How Pandora Works
To launch your personal Internet radio station, search for an artist or song that you really enjoy. The Music Genome Project will then analyze and suggest music similar to your selection. You are able to further customize your stations by rating the recommended songs. While your Pandora Internet radio station is playing give each song a thumbs up or down to influence songs played in the future.
- ThumbsUp - Play more like current song
- ThumbsDown - Do not play this song again. Play fewer songs that are similar. Skip ahead.
- Neutral - Does not change your music preferences.
Pandora's Internet Radio Features
- Two thumbs down - artist banned
- Do not play a song for a month
- Why was this song selected?
- Prohibit explicit lyrics
- Six skips per hour and an artist is only played four times per hour
Music Genome Project
Since 2000 the Music Genome Project has created the most extensive taxonomy of music ever created. Their musicologists use an intricate system to identify over 400 variables and 2,000 focus points in each song.
Factors include: Melody, Rhythm, Lyrics and More.
Pandora's musicologists have extensive backgrounds in music. Each is required to have a 4 year degree in Music Theory, Composition or Performance. They spend at least 30 minutes dissecting each and every song ensuring a personalized experience in which Pandora plays only music you love.
Platforms using Pandora
Pandora is available on a variety of web and mobile platforms including:
Add your constructive feedback or review for Pandora.com
KristinaWeis's Comments on Pandora.com
- KristinaWeis (delighted) : It's nice to be able to listen to and be introduced to new bands that are similar to your existing favorites, and it's a neat way to find your next favorite. The only downside to the site is the somewhat overbearing advertising that changes frequently and takes up much of the screen, but that's often the price for such a good free service. Tue Dec 30 05:01:43 UTC 2008
Saad Saeed's Comments on Pandora.com
- Saad Saeed (frustrated) : Unhappy that Pandora is not available to people outside USA. Wed Apr 22 10:36:53 UTC 2009